Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pre-Spring Break; Zimbabwe

Although this blog post is not a past experience, it is regarding an experience that will happen this weekend. I have felt the need to reflect and gather thoughts on what to expect during this trip. My friend, Ally Stammel, and I will travel to Zimbabwe on Saturday, August 30 (leaving at 3:30am!). We will be volunteering at an orphanage/organization, called ACET, in Southwestern Zimbabwe, in a rural area called Matabeleland. While there, we will be staying with Willard, the director of the orphanage.

Although there is no direct orphan facility, the organization works to help the children in the village. In the local community, there are 3,000 orphaned children. 22% of the local children have lost one or both parents to AIDS, therefore 263 children are double orphans (lost both parents) and are living in a child headed house-hold.

There are many projects that the orphanage runs, including a home based care and support for people living with HIV. This project serves over 500 people each month. In addition, the orphanage pays school fees and gives food packages to the 263 children in child headed households. Another project is the school breakfast program, which feeds 2,700 children each day. Many of those children receive little or no other food during the day.

The orphanage has over 200 community members that are volunteers, even though many of them struggle to provide for their own family. This statement reminds me of the word I’ve constantly heard and witnessed while studying abroad – ‘ubuntu’. Ubuntu is an idea that roughly translates into “human kindness”. It is used philosophically, meaning that “I am who I am because of who we all are.” This emphasizes the necessity of building a community, because it means the world to those in the community. In a sense, it’s explaining a family within a community. Although the community may not have many luxuries, they have each other – and sometimes, that’s more important.

Ally and I are running a fundraiser with a goal of $500. As of this morning (August 26), we have raised $315. Some of this money will be used to buy things for the children, such as coloring and school supplies. The rest of the money will be donated to the orphanage, and we will be able to decide what aspects of the orphanage we think the money should go towards. To donate, visit: http://www.gofundme.com/cz5ngk

I am beyond excited for this trip, because it has been a dream of mine to volunteer at an orphanage and adopt a children from Africa (don’t worry Mom, I won’t bring a child home). I know it’s going to be an emotional journey, but I think it will be an incredible learning experience. Things will be so different in Zimbabwe compared to home and even Cape Town. Some things we take for granted, such as running water, are simple luxuries. Willard, the director who we will be staying with, mentioned that his home does not have running water, so we need to bring water bottles to drink with us. Chances are, we won't have WiFi (so please don't think I'm ignoring you that week!). 

Honestly, I could not imagine doing anything else for spring break. I know studying in South Africa is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and bungee jumping, ziplining, safaris, and country hopping sounds incredible. I’m really excited for everyone who are doing these things for break, but, it’s time to follow my heart and do what I want to do.

Schedule of events while at Zimbabwe: 
August 30: Arrive
August 31: Basketball with children
September 1: Visit local clinic, meet patients, and sit in on support group
September 2: Work with children who are building bricks for a chicken house
September 3: Meet community volunteers and gather an overview for entire program
September 4: Visit nutrition garden, visit homes, cook and African dish with children and eat with children
September 5: Meet with children and give them donations (for money we are raising)
September 6: Visit the center where youth are trained, attend a volunteer's wedding
September 7: Debriefing, head back to Cape Town


Again, to donate to this project, visit: http://www.gofundme.com/cz5ngk

No comments:

Post a Comment